Friday, January 4, 2008

the mad dash

A lot of people don't understand when I tell them I spent New Years working on a paper, trolling the 'net, drinking champagne, and then climbed up to my roof to watch fireworks. It was nice and mellow. I think some misunderstood reputation of partying precedes me. Heh. Well, it's not the entirely unfounded. I have been known to go to some wild New Years parties and stay up until dawn. But I've also been known to - and fondly remember - go up into the woods of backland Wisconsin and stay in a cabin, putting logs on the fire, drinking champagne and howling to Jeff Buckley - while remaining terrified all the while that some wolves would eat me.

I had invitations. My good pals Sarah and Wilfried invited me to dinner and drinks at their place. My cool landlord Fabien invited me to his place where he and his girlfriend were hosting a few people. A colleague called to invite me out with others who were in town. Friends of Rod's invited me previously to join them up north. So many wonderful people concerned that I wouldn't have a good place to be. But I did find one. Hanging out with me!

I made a little video up on the roof but I need to go back and look at it. I was a bit toasted at the time and not sure of the quality now. Although I was thrilled to be filming over the rooftops just when the clock struck and the Eiffel went from drab, uniform lights to sparkling, dashing, debonair lighting. And then the big booming fireworks started all across the horizon.

So, between my early return to school - it's just less distracting there for all the papers I'm to write - and cooking dinner and just living, I'm trying to get old photos up on flickr and the digifilms up on youtube. Please check them when you're bored as they're changing quite a bit.

Oh, yeah, and speaking of the youtube, how cool is this?

A film with Radiohead in it made for New Year's Eve, 2007. Features every song on their new album IN RAINBOWS




Happy 2008 to you all!

No comments: