Monday, December 31, 2007

Between Merry and Happy

I didn't really see what the big deal was or why people would think it'd do me good, but when I got to Madrid I could tell. I did need to get out of Paris for a bit. I'm loving Paris on a certain level, but Madrid has giddiness and open arms. Even as I waited in line at Vueling, the cute Spanish couple in front of me played and joked and smiled and giggled. An entirely different feel than Paris already.

My brain started thinking in Spanish and my body started to shed the tight enclosing.

Charles de Gaule airport looks like communist dark bread compared to Barajas' colorful breath of life beach feeling.

I had a really good time in Madrid with Rod from Scotland, Sarah from San Francisco, and Benedicte from Normandy. It certainly wasn't an average Christmas in any way. I've started uploading the photos on flickr so please go check them out. Featuring:

belly dancing at Habibi












weird collections at rastro











walking by the palace in the gardens












interesting holiday traditions











caipirinhas












Christmas in crowns!










and much much more!! Please check it out at flickr.com/photos/lr/sets


I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I was lucky to be able to celebrate with some great friends, and I also got to Skype with my parents and sister. They, of course, were in pijamas and I had already toasted with champagne. It was great to see their faces and hear their voices. I even got to see some of the crazy snow piled high in Minneapolis. Then, I checked my email and saw a lovely note from one of my aunts with an update on who's who at the farm and what the new news was. At about midnight on Christmas I got a fabulous surprise phone call from all my relatives gathered around the speakerphone at the farm. It was such a surprise and I was so thrilled to hear their voices. It is the little things that count and it really made me feel like I was a bit home with them all. Nothing felt that far away, and love was wrapped around me.

Got back into town on the 26th with a crazy fever and cough and stayed in bed for two days. Before I left Madrid I was able to grab something called Frenadol which seemed to really bring the fever to a halt and calm the dry cough that was tearing through me. When I could finally leave the apartment on Friday I went over to Darty at M: Anvers to pick up a humidifier. The shortness of breath caused me to shuffle along like an old lady - or a French person. I walk too fast generally and it's good to be forced to slow down and look at things, take them in. I'm still adjusting to Paris. I'm still adjusting to school. Sigh. Who knew I'd still have growing pains long after puberty?

I guess if I were to make a list of things wished for or resolutions for 2008, they'd be this:

- I am going to stop worrying about the money.
- I am going to spend the money for a year's membership to the gym because it's the only way I'm going to feel better about myself mentally and physically.
- I am going to open myself up to learning
- I am going to believe in myself
- I am ridding myself of fear
- I will believe I can do it
- I will ride a Velib
- I am (only) going to give loose change to someone on the street once a month
- I am going to rejoice for the smoking ban but not rub it in too hard
- I will make time for museums on the weekends
- I think I can I think I can
- I will only be confined by what I can dream for myself
- I will write more postcards
- I will try recipes for cooking
- I will create my own sunshine in these overcast days (even if it's via vitamin D)
- I will call my grandma more
- I will be more patient in waiting for some things
- I will be more available for you
- I will be more on time to class (especially French)
- I will give and offer
- I'll stop taking photos of every darn thing and try to focus more
- I will love and forgive and stop judging and gossiping
- I will thank more people more often
- I will laugh more on the metro, and louder, but not in that obnoxious USA way

Ha. Now let's see how much actually happens in 2008!

Regardless, it's going to be a new year and new 365 days with which we can do anything we choose. It's how we make it, right? And life is short so why waste time?

Thanks to you and a very Happy New Year!

Bonne et heureuse année 2008 !

No comments: