Friday, October 3, 2008

On the Vice Presidential Debate from over here

Missed it? Catch the full 1 hour 33 minutes of comedy here.

Well, it's Friday night and what better have I to do? Actually, a ton, but I'm sick as a dog so why not catch up on my American politics? I'm slightly disgusted with the US media saying Palin didn't too poorly. Obviously, the bar was lowered to the gutter so anything that didn't involve her storming out, saying "Vote for Bush and Palin" or "Biden's a baby killer" or breaking down into tears basically constitutes doing well. No, I won't even say, well she did alright. While I don't expect my representatives to be without human failures (Errare Humanum Est), I do expect them to have eloquent arguments (even if it's bull), well-thought out ideas, and a drive to change what Bush had messed up for the past 8 years. Being able to remain composed for an hour half does not qualify as doing well. As my old boss commented, she is "shocked and appalled that 'folksy' makes someone a viable vice-presidential candidate."

So, if it hasn't been said, most of what I noted had to do with analyzing Palin. Although, I was trying to be critical of Biden. I'm not as familiar with him, his policies, his beliefs, his background, etc I did wonder if he wasn't going to suffer a stroke at some point, the way those veins stuck out above his eyebrows. He almost looked like a Vulcan. I'm also tired of the old, white guy syndrome. And he doesn't need to remind me he's had a lifetime in politics - I'm tired of the old school. But he does wear his upbringing on his sleeve - or play it up for the people - and that I fell for.

So, here are my brief notes on the interaction:















stolen from Cajun Boy


What does "more and more revelation made aware now.." mean, Palin? And who says "Yah, I wooduv" or "bringin'" or "A-mare-ica" like a teenager chewing gum? Seems like she's running a Bush, Jr Jr here.

And what is with all the winking? Seriously, SNL was handed gold on a platter while they were fanned by Donatella Versace's slave men.

Really, who is so proud of being the governor of the only arctic state? Isn't that where there's a huge alcohol problem, man-eating bears, and a whole yard of ice? Get over it. It's really not so amazing. Especially considering the fact that the whole damn country is barely populated (683,478). I mean, HAWAII has more people living there than Alaska.

Did anyone feel like Palin was your mom giving you the smack down, shame-on-you speech after you'd overspent your allowance on a cheap Barbie dollhouse? Really, do I need a VP who wants to ground me or wag her finger at me?

"People are SO hungry for that domestic source of energy to be tapped into"? Are we? Are we soooo hungry for oil and not for a paid job? Are we so eager to tear open wildlife and suck its life out?

"I'd tell America straight up.." Is that what she'll say to foreign dignitaries? "Let me tell you straight up about our foreign policy." Ugh.

"We can not afford to lose.." in the war in Iraq. Is that what it's about, Palin? Losing is losing face? How about we can't afford to leave Iraq in the disastrous state we put it in? "Shift responsibility" - nice, Biden. She did kick Biden in the privates by throwing his words back at him in regards to criticizing Obama before Biden was chose as VP.

Was Palin stumbling on the word "nuclear?"

engagement w/ enemies: "..these dictators who hate America... and hate what we stand for.. our respect for women's rights" WHAT?! What in god's name does she consider "women's rights" - she's been a champion of limiting women's rights since day one! Disillusioned much?

Did anyone think her insert of "building an Embassy in Jerusalem" sounded a bit like a sales pitch: This duplex is just the house for your family, with the two-car garage, great view of the lake - and an Embassy in Jerusalem - you just can't go wrong!

"We both love Israel" - the next great campaign tee-shirt. It's almost like, "We both love ice cream!"

I'm sorry, but she's so condescending. It's so inappropriate. Biden should have taken her stupid, sick, sweet-cheeked Maverick ass out the door and kicked her off her high heels. But he remained diplomatic and exuded class by not stooping to her level.

Surged principles that have worked in Iraq?

I wish Biden would have pointed out that he's actually attained the experience on the issues of war, genocide, peace, and the economy and that Palin hasn't had that same education and can't do the job.

Ooooh, "McCain knows what Evil is." Like, Evil Knievel?

"Whaddya expect?" cheerleader shoulder shrug with a head tilt, "We're a team of Mavericks...." Gimme an M! Gimme an A! Good gracious.

Has anyone seen Wasilla Main Street? Who wants that in the capital? Union Street or Katie's restaurant? Who wants that in the capital? Why did Biden drop Home Depot into the conversation? Is he getting paid?

"Government get out of my way" I wish she'd thought of that when considering bills regarding women's rights. Hmmm... Now, who's the 2-faced politician?

"Say it ain't so, Joe... now doggoneit..." next campaign tee-shirt. Followed by "Your wife being a teacher for 30 years and god bless her - her reward is in heaven." I think she started to lose it here.

Nice try on her part to turn the "Bush Administration = McCain" into "looking to the past" instead of talking about the future. Ain't gonna work, woman. The last 8 years is the future and it's gotta change.

"ramped up" "shout out" - oh.my.god. Our next VP? Please nooooo. I love what "youngin'" said in the comments here: "- I don't think 'shout outs' are appropriate during national debates"

Palin wants flexibility in the role of VP...hmmm... like what? What does she want the power for? Um, that's scary. Nice knock on Cheney, Biden. Thanks!

I love my mother, really, I do. And, I love most of the moms I know. But I'm sorry, the only ONLY mother I wanted to run for President or VP was Hillary Clinton. Being a mother does not qualify you for the leadership of this country. Political education, experience, diplomacy, foreign expertise.. and if you're a parent, great. But don't run on your parenthood - it's really not so hard to get or have kids. And, we've seen that prime example through her daughter!

Biden spoke about political issues (albeit with a lot of spin and some lying), but during his one lengthily moment on family, he got all choked up over his kids. Wow. Nice play.

Maverick. Really, it used to be an interesting, descriptive word. It's now like an off-key chord on a bagpipe. Ugh. Ew. And, stop. Please.

Just like the next person, I'm not interested in having an elitist President, but if a person can't find another, more eloquent way for describing "quasi-caved in" then they shouldn't be leading my country. Enough of the "I'm the decider" for me, thanks.

"[Since then,] Never questioned their motive, questioned their judgment." - Biden. Nice.

"You walk the walk, you don't just talk the talk. At the end of the day, as long as we're all workin' together for the greater good, it's gonna be okay." - Palin. Not nice.

And another good critique from "yougin'": "-I learned in grade school to enunciate my words ending in -ING . If the word ends in ING then you best pronounce the G!!! They must not teach that in Alaska."

Why is Palin's closing a threat of fear? Freedom is at stake - freak out! Vote McCain

Be able to pay the mortgage, send kid to college, best equipped soldiers, best health care. Dignity and respect. Accomplish anything - we believed it and we did. Reestablish that certitude. "Champ, when you get knocked down, get up" And the last god bless the troops - selfishly - ooooo, sizzler! Vote Obama/Biden

Last, and again stolen from Cajun Boy's website:

2 comments:

Starman said...

Actually, all of us who watched the "debate" together, agreed that for Palin to get through the whole thing without once looking like a deer caught in the headlights, was amazing. even if she did get just about everything wrong. Several times, she quoted verbatim, something that had been stated by McCain.

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Laurie from The Paris Blog. Wanted to see if you'd like to be a contributor. My e is ruenobel at yahoo fr. i can give you details