Friday, September 12, 2008

Oh, Paris, city of...

Lights
Traffic
That special smell of urine mixed with fresh bread with salty armpits and gorgeous cheese
Hot sun and cool wind
Grey tin roofs
Staring
Eyes demanding a "pardon" if one bumps into another person
Welcoming smiles from the local boulangerie and cave
Dog poop in the grates around trees
Short chimneys lined like ceramic pots waiting for gods
Flies who know to dart into an apartment and can find their way out immediately
Daredevil pigeons that blow the hair out of your face
Groups of chanting, drunk tourists
A new "traditional" restaurant on the corner (replacing the old Italian one)
A burned, empty building where I had my last panini (little bugs crawled on my shoes there)


I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I am frantically trying to re-build my nest. The apartment looked the same when I got in and the first thing I did was unlock the shutters, push them open and let the air in. It rained just after I bought dinner. The subletters left a bit of food and odds and ends. I made my bed and fixed the futon. I took a shower and adjusted things (soap dish over here, shower head like so). I remembered this place. Now, I'm trying to unpack the boxes I left and the things I brought back from Geneve. In between, buying groceries and amenities. In between, running off this afternoon to school to meet with my colleague to talk about the conference, see some friends there. I am Scandinavian American, and we like to keep busy. .. I guess ..

Meanwhile, I'm walking the long way to the supermarche to absorb the city again. It's brilliant. It's brilliant to see the tourists (less now than the past couple of months though) with eyes wide open and giggles as they walk from Pigalle to the Moulin Rouge - all the sex stores surprise them. UK frat boy types posing with arms spread wide in front of the 3-story Sex World store. Older couples giggling with cameras around their necks. And, on the benches, along the promenade, sit all the regulars - some with beers, some waiting for their man, some with sandwiches. I love this neighborhood.

It's easy to jump back in, although it takes me my own sweet time to do it. I miss having the awesome flatmate I had. I miss the lake and the old town and my dear bicycle. I miss petite chat Lion. I made some good friends there and I miss them.

Easing in....

No comments: