Sunday, April 27, 2008

No, I've not gone unconscious

But this semester is big 'n busy.

Paris has suddenly warmed from the 50s to 70s over the past 4 days. I broke out the skirts and shorts and my white skin is blinding people all over town.

I worked 7 hours yesterday with my International Econ group on "Global Imbalances" which scholars have written 100-page analysis on. We've got 35 slides. My section is on the US - I've seen 50-page papers on it; my slides are 7. Essentially, it's a US twin deficit (budget and current account) to a group of world surpluses, especially China. The US needs to stop needing needing wanting wanting, and start saving. China needs to start buying, spending some hard earned cashola. But there are other factors, of course. Interesting though, my group represents China, India, Iran, and the US. There is hope for the world yet, people. I gotta tell you though, with the $ being the world's financial currency and us owing a lot of big boys on the block, the subprime crisis doesn't make anyone feel very secure.

Today, I'm off to the massive student housing area called Cite Universite. Another 6 hour group meeting. This one features the US, Canada, and China wondering what the future of Cuba could be.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Geneva in the afternoon. I'm taking the train and am super excited to see some landscape. The first half of Tuesday I'll be at the UNECE doing the tour, meeting the folks, sitting in on a meeting, getting a feel for the place. This isn't necessary for the internship and I already had dinner with my future boss while he was in town for a conference. And frankly my schedule right now can't really take the quick trip, but I'm interested in seeing Geneva before I head off in June. It might also give me an opportunity to check out housing better. It's hell via the internet so far. Tuesday night I train it back to Paris. Wednesday I give my meager understanding of the US deficit and hope I look confident enough to fool everyone. Thursday is a holiday here, during which I will sleep, and not plan anything else.

I was here a year ago with my sister, checking out a school in London and Paris. I totally made the right decision. When a couple of friends were in town last weekend, we coincidentally had lunch at a cafe over by the Louvre where my sister and I had a coffee. It's funny, through visiting my friends, I ended up in almost every spot where my sister and I had been during our visit a year ago. I think that's fate/gods/karma/good juju letting me know everything's on track. I am doing what I'm supposed to do. This is where I should be.

So, maybe I'm more conscious than ever right now.

4 comments:

Starman said...

I am so glad to see the weather taking a turn towards warmer. We will be there on Wednesday.
Sometimes, trying to find accommodations on the internet can be very frustrating. If you knew someone in Geneva, they could probably steer you in the right direction.

Starman said...

Just when you thought it was safe to look. Have you noticed the new code thingy one must type when trying to leave a comment on blogger? It was bad enough before, but now many times, it's almost impossible to make out all the letters. I would hope that you would join me in complaining to blogger.

Lauren said...

starman, I caught a flash of the weird code thingy just now. It's completely illegible. I didn't know I had it there because I've got a Gmail account (associated with Blogger) so I'm logged in automatically. I'll see if I can do something about turning it off.

Will I get to meet you while you're here? We should do an apero. You know Thursday is a holiday, right? If we don't meet - I hope you both/all have a FAB time here!! Drop me an email if you want to hang out at all: larauk05 AT gmail DOT com

Starman said...

Thursday is probably not a good idea because we doing a champagne cruise at 18h00. But I'm sure we can work out a time before you head for Geneva.