Sunday, March 30, 2008

Papers, papiers, travaille

It's busy right now.
3,000 word paper due Monday for Governing by Delegation and I picked "Why have politicians throughout the world chosen to create independent regulatory agencies?" Why can't I just summarize: enhancing the credible commitments of policy makers (notably towards investors who seek long-term policies), dealing with increased technical complexity in policy-making, shifting blame for unpopular decisions, isomorphism, political uncertainty, state tradition, political leadership, and the introduction of new public management. And then be done! Alas, school - as I'd forgotten - is about proving that you've listened to the professor instead of updated your Facebook page every 10 minutes.

Microecon homework on equity standards and intergovernmental grant applications.

French - write a 1-page essay on something that happened last year (to show off that we learned past tenses): Sarkozy as president and not supporting the idea of Turkey as joining the EU.

Why do I challenge myself? Why not just write short and simple essays. Pick the easy work. Sigh.

Then, we move into Int'l Economics about the Mundell Fleming model and exchange rates -- flexible exchange rates and mobile capital (or their opposites). As well as a group project on global imbalances. Scenario Planning and looking at possible futures for Cuba. Conflict Management - might analyze the negotiations to end the civil unrest in Kenya (with Kofi Annan). But not sure. (If you have suggestions, pleas send my way!) Then, I'm starting a whole new class on Globalization this coming week. As if I don't have enough to do! Also, steadily pushing the planning for the fall Global Public Policy Network Student Conference, which will take place in Paris.

Still keeping an eye out for housing in Geneva for the internship at the UNECE this summer. Locked-in the dates folks, so I'm out of town 16 June to 8 September (just short of the 3 months deadline so I won't need a special visa). I'm meeting my future boss in Paris in a couple of weeks as he's here to do a conference at the OECD. (Who knew I'd be throwing these acronyms around like oh so casual conversation?)

Had a great visit with my pal Meghan and her boyfriend Mike from San Fran. Very low-key friends who ventured around on their own and then shared some time with me. We had an interesting couple of dinners and did a bit of the literary walk through the Latin Quarter (following Ginsberg, Hemingway, and the like), chilled at the Deux Magots, took a boat on the Seine, ate gelato for the first time, and got to know the St Michel district better. It was great to see them and hard to see them go. But oh, the new things in Paris I did!

Walked a bit around my neighborhood a couple of days ago and fell in love with Paris again. Just after the rain stopped, a stormy turbulent sky with bright blues behind the clouds, sun peeking out, streets shining, windows dripping, the warmer air. Delightful in Montmartre.

Also, joined my friends Wilfried and Sarah last weekend to march for prostitutes' rights. We thought Susie Bright might join us since she was in town but she missed the march due to delayed arrival to Paris. Bummer! But the march was absolutely excellent, and I thoroughly loved meeting the Les Soeurs de la Perpetuelle Indulgence (of which Sarah belongs - 4th woman aspirant to go through the process; San Francisco/English).

But now I'm hunkered down for the long haul. Daylight savings just turned over to 3am here. Got to get some sleep.

There are a lot more photos up on Flickr:
more India: Taj Mahal, Agra and Agra Fort, Delhi to Agra
and from 2007: visit with Josh, Cully & the Triumph in Minneapolis, sushi with my sister, Emily & Mike in Minneapolis, the family farm and grandma

3 comments:

Starman said...

You challenge yourself because you know it will pay off in the end.
Did you know about the new champagne cruise on the Seine by Ô Chateau (http://www.o-chateau.com/paris-champagne-cruise.php)? It's only €40 per and they're not skimpy with the bubbly.

Lauren said...

Hi, starman - Thank you so much for the kind words.

Hmm... so what does "not skimpy" mean? While I shouldn't be converting E to $ anymore because it gives me a hernia, I do. The boat ride I took was an hour for 11E with no bubbly.

Thanks for the link - I'll forward to my friends who'll be visiting next month.

Starman said...

"not skimpy" means they don't offer just one glass and hope you'll go away. Although, one glass of each of the wines they offer, would be more than enough for me in an hour.