Tuesday, February 19, 2008

the different meanings of life insurance

Walking in downtown Mumbai, India. Life flashing before my eyes with the fast-moving, closely crowded traffic. Viewing the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly, Victoria Terminus). Some kids gravitated to us and were fascinated when I flipped my digicam's viewing window toward them as I flimed. We don't give money to them. It doesn't solve the problem.




I'm still processing the trip to India. On one level I was seeing India for the first time, a truly unique country with the most people on the planet living there. "Don't try to understand India. Experience India." (Lonely Planet quoted by the HR Director of Infosys) Then, on another level we were 35 of us together for 10 days. Social dynamics. Interactions. Conflicts and rejoicing.

But we have already started second semester classes (check my schedule and the Sciences Po website to see what I'm taking if you're interested - so far I love "Scenario Planning" and am auditing the interesting "Interest Groups" course). I heard back from the UNECE about an internship. It's in Geneva and I know very little about Geneva. It's an incredible opportunity since getting in to the UN of anything is near impossible on the internship level. I'd be assisting the Statistics department with educational marketing of their services and assisting in the implementation of some new applications. It's not a highly managerial position or a strictly public policy position. But it's the UN!! And, I'd have the opportunity to attend joint meetings (with UNFPA, OECD - just a couple of this spring's meetings) and network. So with all of this, my processing of the trip goes in spurts when I find time to reflect.

I was most happy to be back in Paris. It smells like roses, the driving is like a river flowing, and I am happy.

I hope everyone in Wisconsin has voted. I know they got mine.

2 comments:

Starman said...

Some interesting sights, but so noisy. I couldn't believe all the horn honking. That would drive me crazy.
Good luck with the UN thing. It does seem like a fantastic opportunity.

Lauren said...

Hi starman - Yes, terribly noisy. It seemed the further south we got, the less noisy though. Delhi was by far the worst about using the horn, but it's encouraged. Trucks and cars have "Horn Please" painted on the back of them to indicate that the passers should alert when they're coming, passing, or if the driver in front is just plain ol' taking up too much room. This did lead to some very creative horn sounds though.

RE: UN - thanks ever so much for your wishes. We shall see.