Sunday, November 18, 2007

Hello Bonjour!

I'm super sick right now. Everyone at school has been sick and it's finally my turn - after fighting gallantly for about 1 month now. Add to it, the air pollution from the strikes and everyone driving, scootering, etc. The greve continues with metros and buses at maybe 50% operational. I've asked our "Government and Governance" professor Le Gales to let us talk about this current strike, the unions, retirement, Sarkozy, etc since the class has been so divided. I'll miss French tomorrow (8am) to get a bit more rest but will make it for everything else - god willing.

So all of this, and stuck inside all weekend napping and feverish had put me into a funk about why I'm here, what I'm doing, etc. It's been seeping out through the blog and my mind, but it kind of hit a head today. But about 5 minutes ago I heard the song that played throughout my application process last fall. I had THE deciding moment (to go to school in Paris as opposed to Pittsburgh, NYC, London, Chicago, or Berlin). I had THE deciding song that kept me going through the application process. It kept popping up when I had doubts about grad school, doubts about my goals, doubts about applying, doubts about deciding. THe song reminded me of my fight for freedom, an end to injustice, and an overwhelming love for the world and mankind. Yes, yes, lovey dovey and hippie crap. But it's one of the reasons I am who I am and why I'm doing what I'm doing. (Not hippie crap, silly. Peace, freedom, justice.)

Thank you KEXP for playing "Hello Bonjour" by Michael Franti and Spearhead. It reminded me that I'm still on the right path, no matter the challenges or questions or insecurities or doubts. I know I'm here for a purpose - I just forget sometimes.



No comments: