Saturday, November 10, 2007

Fastest Update in the EU

I'm working on editing the Berlin photos right now. I tossed up a bunch of the Greve ones without labelling them because there were over 100+ and I just didn't have the time. There's day 1 of Berlin up but it's us kids in the airport - not interesting at all. Unless you dig Schoenefeld.

I'm off to go do groceries which requires planning and lists because, unlike the French, I like efficiency.

I'm definitely sure I made the right decision for school and for school in Paris. It's hard and wonderful at the same time, every day, all the time. Some days I feel like I've been thrown back into high school and feel drastically insecure about myself when I shouldn't since I'm a wonderfully mature and successful woman. Some days I feel frustrated by my lack of prior knowledge but I'm getting the big picture and seeing it all add up. Events outside of school are reinforcing the language I'm learning and the concepts and I feel like by the time I leave I will be on the cutting edge of leadership and policy, world change. That's exciting and comforting. Meanwhile, personally, I have some challenges. It's harder to get along with the younger students and it's harder to get along with French friends due to lack of time. I'm proud of myself that I've really taken to the bus routes (dude, RATP rules - on the upper left hand side is an interactive map of all bus lines, their timetables open in PDF and their routes are clearly outlined, same with metro, RER, and everything else). It's a great way to see Paris outside of my apartment and the school -- which end up seeing me most.

I loved visiting Berlin to see its dramatic changes between my last visit in 2002 and now. Thanks to Paul for the recommendation of Globetrotter Hostel!

So, we went to the World Bank the other day. You can see us here and watch the 2 hour lecture on "Research to Policy" here (opens into a Real Player video which I can't seem to save - must be locked).

Weather's turning colder here but no snow yet which makes me tremendously happy. There are anticipated strikes next week but I can't confirm things yet. I finally got a Navigo card (like 50E/month for all transport - it's a steal since I ride the bus/metro at least 2/day @ 1.50E/ea = 84E/month). I don't get the student discount because I'm old. Age discrimination is incredible in Europe. They don't comprehend why anyone would return to school for some reason. .. well, I know the reason, I just don't have time to expand on it here.

I promise more lengthly reports this weekend between reading reading reading and living.

Don't forget - plan your Europe vacation now and get free accommodations with me! I've already got my pals, the Lunds, visiting in January. Sooo excited to see them here and catch up -- J. Lund was 1 of the main recommenders for all my grad school apps, super cool guy/professor.

Ok, over n out.
BisouBisou

No comments: