Friday, November 23, 2007

2 Things... or more

1. I take myself for granted too much.



2. I am thankful for too many things. My incredibly supportive family, with whom I have almost consistently celebrated Thanksgiving. This is the third T'giving that I haven't spent with them in 10 years. The first because I was in Spain studying. The second because I felt I needed space. This time I feel a bit homesick.

We spent all day in class, or out of class (Me: Stats 10-1, Innovation 2-5). During our first career navigation course tonight from 5:30-7:30pm, I realized most of the North Americans were all seated around each other. I leaned over and tapped Peter, "Hey, Happy Thanksgiving." and it caught on.

I miss mashed potatoes. Yams. My mum's awesome, unique salad. My aunts who make vegetarian stuffing with me in mind. My grandma and - before - grandpa at the head of the table. The Norweigen prayer that I still don't know by heart but recognize by sound.

A bunch of the North Americans and a few South Americans (yes, there's the debate - is there north and south...) went out after the career class for some wine. We ended up in some great discussions and a few reconcilliations from misunderstandings and then a French girl had her birthday. Only, the birthday party was Jewish so there was a lot of Hava Nagila and dancing and festivities. What a way to be thankful and celebrate!!!

And Josh. Oh, darlin. Thanks so much for calling me on my cell. We both know I'm not a phone girl, but it was so so so important and so touching to hear your voice and talk to you. It meant so much to me. I think you could hear it in my voice at the end, but thank you.


I'm thankful to be able to be here, studying, learning, living in a strange place where I am an outsider by language. I'm thankful to feel things like happiness, sadness, longing, and wonder if I'm bipolar with the rate of fluctuation of those feelings. I'm happy to have means to feed myself, clothe myself, be able to meet essential needs and still dream. I'm thankful to have short hair and get to experience a very Latin, macho country as such - it's truly humbling. I'm thankful to be able to dance and love music. I'm thankful to be able to read and highlight with my yellow highlighter. I'm thankful to see the Eiffel Tower on my bus ride home and see L'Opera on my bus ride to school. I'm thankful to hear French and understand it when I allow my brain to float into it instead of processing things all the time. I'm so thankful for my health - even if I cough and sneeze right now, I am in one piece. I'm thankful for all the people who have come into and out of my life. Without each and every one of you - of them - I would not be who I am today.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated T-giving, Lo.

Thought of you as I was eating my turkey.

I'm sure your wine was better, but you must've been missing the stuffing....

A.

Lauren said...

Hey A!

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope your turkey was fantastic and the sauce just right. The wine I had was very nice indeed, but you're right I sure did miss the stuffing.

Hope Santa brings you something other than coal or switches this year, darlin'! ;)

xo

Unknown said...

Hugs, hermanita...lots of hugs!