Friday, September 28, 2007

The Magic of the Flute

Self-note in Moleskine: when asking Fabien about dress codes for events, instead, ask what kind of event it is.

the opera was modern opera, more of a performance art than stuffy, ol', sleepy opera. It's too bad that the other MPA students were too tired tonight to go out. School has been draining in all fronts, but I had quite fun at the opera tonight. Fabien and his friends went, as well, so I had company though I was planning to be there alone. Costume design rocked and there was a punk rocker as Monostatos. The orchestra was a 6-piece violin, 1 bass, 1 French horn, 1 flute, 1 pianist, 1 conductor (as I could see) and they were practically into the audience. The conductor was leaning back on to one of the empty theatre chairs. Actors ran in from the stage and from an audience door on the side, through the audience, bringing the opera to the people in a sense. Hopefully I'll get copies of the photos from Fabien for you. His girlfriend, Boram, was the soprano as Papagena. Absolutely stunning costume and a fantastic singer.

In the meantime, a 2nd year MPA student (did his first year at a partner school, Hertie in Berlin) has posted some photos from our orientation week. Take a look!

Tomorrow is legalities with the carte de sejour (long-stay visa) and some laptop bag shopping, and maybe a low-end pair of black pants. I guess I'm succumbing to the pressure of black. I feel too colorful and wayyyy too relaxed in my clothing. I had forgotten how well-dressed the Europeans are for all events - even an opera is a fashion show of 'dressing down.'

No comments: